Following close scrutiny from a distinguished international jury, The Music+Sound Awards have announced the finalists for their annual global competition.
With the support of the music and sound design industries, the programme recognises music and sound excellence within the media, serving to highlight the extraordinary talents and achievements of those involved.
There are 38 categories spanning original composition, sound design, sync, re-records and production music.
This year sees the highest number of entrants in its seven year history.
Emma Maguire, Managing Director of the Awards, is excited to see the growth and said:
“The engagement and enthusiasm that we have seen this year sets us up for another fantastic competition. This year’s entries have been exceptional, making it a difficult task to judge. We’d like to greatly thank all the entrants and welcome the new participants to our community"
She goes on to say,
“We congratulate all the finalists and we hope they feel proud that their work has endured such rigorous inspection from our brilliantly accomplished jury! Very best of luck to them all".
The jury this year included leading industry figures Jocyelyn Brown, Senior Music Producer at Leo Burnett, USA, Michael Schachtner, Executive Creative Director at BBDO, Berlin, Paul Cartledge, Head of Production at Yellow Boat Music, London and Sam Ashwell, Head Sound Engineer + Creative Partner at 750mph, London. The full panel can be seen here: www.masawards.com/2018jury
One of the jurors, Ilana Goldstoff, Head of Sync and Licensing at Sizzer, Amsterdam sings the Awards’ praises:
“There are a lot of Awards, but most of them focus on the film and not on music and sound. Even if there are sync or music categories, in most cases the music wins when the film is amazing. That’s different at Music+Sound Awards and that’s why I think it’s a very important competition. A lot of good work didn’t get the attention that it should get and now it does!”.
Winners of 2018’s Awards will be announced on Tuesday 10th July, 4pm (GMT), via The Music+Sound Awards’ Twitter feed, @MASawards.
Here follows a selection of finalists. A full list can be viewed at www.masawards.com
Best Original Composition in Broadcast Advertising
- GOLDSTEIN for International Olympic Committee ‘Become The Light. Agency: Publicis London
- Music.Film for Toyota ‘Frozen’. Composer: Hildur Guðnadóttir, Agency: Saatchi & Saatchi LA
- Mophonics for Tile ‘Lost Panda’. Composer: Stephan Altman, Agency: Deutsch LA
- Sizzer Amsterdam for Schweppes Zeitreise. Agency: Glück
- Native Music Supervision for Very ‘Anna and Ulfie’. Composer: Guy Farley. Agency: St Luke’s
- Eclectic Music for Debenhams ‘You Shall’. Composer: Chris White
Best Original Composition in Online, Viral + Ambient Advertising
- Audentity for Tisja Damen ‘Ā·rīs·an’. Composer: Guido Maat, Agency: DPPLR
- The Futz Butler for BMW ‘Offline Someday’. Composer: Paul Sumpter, Agency: M&C Saatchi LA
- JSM Music Inc for JennAir ‘Bound By Nothing’. Composers: Joel Simon + Jimmy Haun, Agency: Digitas
- Tracks & Fields for Nike Air Force 1 ‘Nike Presents: FORCE Move Yourself’. Composer: Michael & Christian, Agency: Dentsu Isobar
- Resonate for Wacom ‘Plume’. Composers: Liam Paton + Andrew Theakstone
- Box of Toys Audio for Star WArs Nvidia Titan XP. Composer: Ben Laver + Magnus Arwenhed
Best Original Composition in Branding + Idents
- Will Serrell at CORD for BT’s Audio Branding. Agency: AMV DDBO
- Al Boorman at Wevie for the Cartoon Network’s 25th Anniversary Ident
- Irad Eshel for Channel Ten’s Rebrand
- SATV Publishing for Sky Sport’s Rebrand. Composer: David Connolly at Molecular Sound
- Cedric Engels & Steven Barbé at Roundhouse for City of Gent’s ‘Sounds Like Gent’ project
- Mathijs Duringhof, Jan Willem + Klein Willink at BLCKBRD Sound Branding for LeasePlan’s Branding
Best Use of Production Music in Broadcast Advertising
- Upright Music for Pandora ‘DO Get What You Wish For’. Composers:Daniel Farrant + James Knight, Track: Don’t Give Up On Love, Publishers:Poke Music / Upright Music, Supervisors: Jeppe Kaltoft + Andreas Henriksen
- Extreme Music for Lada Cross. Composers: Giles Palmer + Rupert Pope Track: Chasing Stars, Publisher: Extreme Music
- Big Sync Music for Marmite ‘Gene Project’ Composer: Edward Elgar, Track: Nimrod (Enigma Variation 9), Supervision: Big Sync Music, Agency: Adam&Eve/DDB
- Too Young Music for Paco Rabanne ‘Pure XS’. Composer: Georges Bizet, Publisher: EMI Production Music, Track: Carmen Habanera Remix, Supervisor: Frederic Schindler at Too Young Music
- Matt Nicholson / Float Music for BeoLab50 ‘Press Pause and Play’. Supervisor: Robin Housman at Hive Music
Best Sound Design in Broadcast Advertising
- Jack Sedgwick at Wave Studios for Edeka ‘2117’. Agency: Jung von Matt
- Will Cohen at String and Tins for Audi ‘Cooling Down’. Agency: BBH
- Aaron Reynolds at Wave Studios for Finlandia ‘Fin & Tonic’. Agency: Weiden + Kennedy
- Ben Gulvin at 750mph for Lynx ‘Forget About Labels’. Agency: W Communications
- Sam Ashwell at 750mph for E.ON 'Freedom Is Electric'. Agency: WCRS
- Phil Bolland at Factory Studios for British Heart Foundation ‘Thank You’. Agency: MullenLowe
Best Sound Design in Online, Viral + Ambient Advertising
- David Johnston + Tom Gilbert at Echoic Audio for Adidas ‘Ultra Boost’. Agency: Onesize
- Michael Kohler at Bluetube for KFC ‘Big Chicken. Small Movie.’. Agency: Weiden + Kennedy
- Joe Wilkinson at String and Tins for BMW ‘Balance is a Powerful’. Agency: FCB Inferno
- Sam Ashwell at 750mph for Honda ‘Dream Makers’. Agency: Weiden + Kennedy
- Sam Ashwell & James Cobbold at 750mph for Shell Helix Ultra. Agency: JWT London
- Mark Hills at Factory Studios for Dementia UK 'Together Again'. Agency: Arthur
Best Audio Mix in a Commercial
- Jack Sedgwick at Wave Studios for Edeka ‘2117’. Agency: Jung von Matt
- Louis Enslin at Produce Sound for Chicken Licken ‘Sbu 2.0’.
- Sam Ashwell at 750mph for Honda ‘Dream Makers’. Agency: Wieden + Kennedy
- Phil Bolland at Factory Studios for FIFA 18 ‘El Tornado’. Agency: adam&eve DDB
- Sam Ashwell at 750mph for Nike ‘Nothing Beats A Londoner’. Agency: Wieden + Kennedy
- Phil Bolland at Factory Studios for Bwin ‘The Race’. Agency: BBH London
Best Sound Design in Branding + Idents
- Mark Hellaby at 750mph for BBC4 Music’s Idents. Agency: BBC Creative
- Anthony Moore + Mark Hills at Factory Studios for Channel 4’s Idents. Agency: 4 Creative
- Iván Llopis + Ángel Pérez Grandi at Banjo Soundscapes for National Geographic | Further
- SATV Publishing Ltd. for Sky One Rebrand 2017. Sound Designers: Ben Laver, Chris Didlick + Magnus Arwenhed at Box of Toys Audio
- Trollbäck+Company for Syfy Network Audio Branding
- Tom Gilbert + David Johnston at Echoic Audio for Viasat Nature
Best Sync in Broadcast Advertising
- Music Sales with Absolut Vodka ‘One Night’. Track: Sunny Artist: Boney M Supervisor: Julz Baldwin at The Most Radicalist Black Sheep, Publisher: Campbell Connelly & Co, Agency: BBH
- Reservoir / Reverb Music with BBC Christmas Campaign 2017 ‘The Supporting Act’. Track: Symphony, Artists: Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson, Supervisors: BBC, Publishers: Reservoir/Reverb Music, Universal Music Publishing, Kobalt Music Publishing + EMI Music Publishing, Label: Warner
- Warner Music UK for Canon ‘Mickey Mike’. Track: Doin’ Me, Artist: Mickey Mike, Supervisor: Chris Phelps at Finger Music, Publisher: Universal Music Publishing, Label: Warner Music UK
- Eclectic Music for GiffGaff ‘Free To Go. Free To Stay’. Track: Stay With Me Baby’, Artist: The Walker Brothers, Supervisor: Andy Rogers
- CORD for Jaguar ‘Swarm’. Track: Carrion Flowers, Artist: Chelsea Wolfe, Supervisor Dominic Goodman, Publisher: Bank Robber, Label: Mute, Agency: Spark 44
- Soundtree Music for Uber ‘Effortless Night’. Track: You’re The Boss, Artists: Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret, Supervisor: Soundtree Music, Publisher: Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Label: Sony Music, Agency: BBH London
Best Band + Brand
- Warner Music UK for EON x Gorillaz - A Solar Collaboration. Track: We Got The Power, Supervisor: Sophie Urquhart at Tin Drum Music, Publisher: Warner/Chappell, Label: Warner Music UK
- MOVISTAR+ for Fama / Delaporte.Track: Un Jardin, Supervisor: Omar Tenani, Publisher: Telefonica Editorial Musical, Label: Mad Moon Music
- BT Sport for UEFA Champions League - Road To Cardiff / Loyle Carner. Supervisor: Pete Kelly
- BT Sport for UEFA Europa League Manchester United - Long Time Coming / Avelino. Supervisor: Pete Kelly, Label: More Music Records / Oddchild
- Twitter #Studio for Twitter - Music is happening. #SeeEverySide / Chance The Rapper. Track: No Problem
2018’s Music+Sound Awards are sponsored by Spitfire Audio, Krotos Audio and Hummingbird Music.