Having initially trained as a spatial planner and started his career in the world of architecture, TBWA\Dublin's director of social media and content, Andrew Murray, is a man who appreciates good design in all its manifestations. Since he entered the world of advertising and social media content, he's applied his skills for huge brand clients, including Guinness, Vodafone, McDonald's and Coca-Cola (a brand that he has a particular bond with, as a man who doesn't drink coffee).
To find out more about this man of refined tastes, we hit him up for his Essential List.
- Place of birth: Dublin. The northside.
- Hometown: A new resident of coastal Meath. Meath somehow wrangled about 8km of coast. Who knew? ;-)
- Staycation: Blasket Islands. Paradise.
- Vacation: New York City, or somewhere with secluded beaches.
- Pet: Dog. Soon.
- Place of work: TBWA\Dublin, and the box room.
- Place of workout: Mornington Beach.
- Side project: None at the moment due to a lovely six-month old… but there might be another book on the horizon.
- Mode of transport: Car. But hoping to use the train a lot.
- Bonus travel essential: Lots of magazines that I only buy in airports… and a pack of Silvermints.
- Artist: Aoife Dooley
- Musician: Luke Kelly
- Film director: Frank Darabont. Or Tarantino. Or Fincher.
- Photographer: Giles Norman is great. I’ll never get tired of seeing shots of our Wild Atlantic Way.
- Film: The Godfather Part I & Part II. I love movies. And I miss the cinema. Can’t get enough of the whole experience.
- Series: The West Wing.
- Commercial: Guinness ‘White Christmas’. Or John West Salmon ‘Bear Fight’. Or Rolo ‘Elephant Revenge’.
- Board game: 30 Seconds
- Book: Jurassic Park. Or The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Podcast: The Intelligence.
- Newspaper (off or online): The Irish Times. Or The Athletic.
- Magazine: Harvard Business Review. Usually in airports. But it’s been a while…
Food and Drink
- Breakfast: A breakfast bap from the beachside window in Relish in Bettystown… after a 2.5km walk. The 2.5km back up Mornington beach works off the 1,500 calories. I’m pretty certain.
- Restaurant: Chapter One, Bastible or Octopussy depending on the mood.
- Cheap bite: Some people know their way around Dublin by pubs… I know my way around due to chippers. I’ve got a top 10. And it’s always a breast of southern fried chicken and chips. Please.
- Favourite dish: Gorkhali Chicken from Lumanti of Nepal in Rathgar.
- Signature dish: I do a decent homemade pizza. Nduja is key.
- Snack: A purple one ;-)
- Guilty pleasure: A chicken shish kebab meal from Zaytoon, Dublin. Late on a Friday or Saturday night
- Bar: Keoghs or O’Connells, Dublin. The Quays, Galway. Dick Macks and Foxy Johns, Dingle. Moran’s in Mornington.
- Booze: Guinness. And Jameson!
- Not booze: Coca-Cola.
- Bonus beverage: Another Coca-Cola. I’m a divil for a few of them a week. I probably need to start drinking coffee.
- Phone: iPhone
- Computer: MacBook Pro.
- TV: A new 70” Samsung. My pride and joy… after baby Mara.
- Headphones: AirPods
- Camera: My iPhone.
- Pen / pencil: Uni-balls.
- Where you document an idea: My TBWA notebook.
- Casual clothing: WFH = shorts & t-shirt.
- Smart clothing: It’s rare. Awards season?
- Footwear: Toms.
- Watch: Daniel Wellington. White face. Blue hands.
- App: The Irish Times, Instagram & Twitter.
- Website: The 42
- Morning grooming essential: A bit of cold water in the face in the morning ;-)