This unprecedented year has provided huge cultural moments and shifting trends, and as advertisers begin to look ahead to 2021, Spotify is revealing the key audience insights with the launch of a brand new Wrapped experience tailored specifically for the advertising community. The experience, Spotify 2020 Wrapped for Advertisers
, is now live and showcases the platform’s rich first-party data.
In 2020, Spotify’s advertising business continued to grow with launches including:
- Streaming Ad Insertion technology which automates dynamic ad insertion for podcasts
- The rollout of video advertising on our self-serve ad platform, Ad Studio
- A $20m podcast advertising deal with Omnicom Media Group
Following on from Spotify’s Culture Next Trends Report
, advertisers will be able to dive into how the audiences that matter most to their businesses - Mums, Dads, new parents, Gen-Z, millennials, 35+, fitness enthusiasts, health conscious, foodies, podcast listeners, gamers, tech early adopters, and tastemakers - streamed during this remarkable year.
What tracks kept new parents moving? Is mobile or desktop the platform of choice for foodies? Do fitness enthusiasts lean more towards pop or rap? What podcasts kept Gen-Z entertained and informed?
Developed in partnership with Huge
, 2020 Wrapped for Advertisers goes beyond sharing interesting tidbits about how different demographics streamed on Spotify. Best practices about how to intelligently and creatively leverage the intimacy of audio to reach these users as they stream are weaved throughout.
Here is a closer look at some of the trends we’re seeing (year on year comparisons represent Jan - Nov 2019 to Jan - Nov 2020):
- Globally, total unique listeners of News and Politics podcasts increased by more than 140% YOY
- Globally, time spent listening via Smart Speakers increased by more than 60% YOY and Gaming Console listening rose by more than 50% YOY
- 55% of Spotify users 16 - 40 years old saying they’ve been listening to more music in the past few months as 2020 world events impacted their consumption (Culture Next Trends Report - July 2020)
- In the UK, of the top 50 music genres for each of the 13 demographics we analysed, Dads were more likely to listen to UK drill, antiviral pop, and meme rap compared to other demographics. For Mums, those were movie tunes, glee club, k-pop girl group, k-pop and otacore
- The top podcasts for the 35 and Up crowd in the UK includes The Times News Briefing, Wake Up / Wind Down, TED Talks Daily, Sh**ged, Married, Annoyed and talkSPORT Hit
- Of the top 50 artists on Spotify, the artists that are most unique to the following demographics globally are (listed in ranked order one - five):
Gamers: XXXTENTACION, Melanie Martinez, BTS, Lil Peep, Juice WRLD
Foodies: One Direction, Black Eyed Peas, Anuel AA, Bruno Mars, The Beatles,
Podcast Listeners: Pamungkas, BLACKPINK, Stray Kids, Arijit Singh, BTS
Fitness Enthusiasts: Anuel AA, BTS, Sech, Rauw Alejandro, Ozuna
New Parents: TWICE, BTS, Melanie Martinez, BLACKPINK, One Direction