Dimitri Maex, Managing Director of OgilvyOne New York, the digital direct arm of Ogilvy & Mather, demystifies data analytics in his new book SEXY LITTLE NUMBERS: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have. Written for the general reader, Maex explains which data is the best to watch, how to extract the storyline it reveals and where companies can find untapped profits.
“Before the digital age, it was fairly simple to target customers using direct mail and traditional customer relationship management (CRM) techniques. Today, with every customer move transparent, the huge quantity of data that is now easily available gives companies an unprecedented window into how customers engage with brands – and more importantly – where that can lead to revenue,“ said Maex.
Big data can be overwhelming. For example, how can you sort through all the mountains of information to find out why a customer bought your product? Maex aims to make answering questions like “where are the customers?” and “how do I get them hooked?” understandable.
Here are a handful of highlights from the new, “sexy” toolset that you'll understand more fully after reading this book:
- Predict what your customers and potential customers will be worth to you in the future using models such as value spectrum and risk propensity.
- Find where your customers are, both geographically and online; what sites or social networks they spend their time on, what apps they use and what they are searching for.
- Determine which customers buy your product because it is perfect for their needs, or because they liked your ad, or whether the deciding factor was price, or whether their purchase came from word- of-mouth recommendation.
- How to allocate your marketing assets in ways that will generate the highest possible returns.
- Optimize your sales and marketing efforts using the latest technology.
Each page is filled with real world examples and actionable advice for companies and marketers striving to find and reach the most profitable customers and get the biggest return on their marketing dollars. SEXY LITTLE NUMBERS will interest small business owners eager to grow faster and leaner, R&D teams seeking to create new products or services, customer service professionals who want to know which buyers are the most valuable, finance execs responsible for growing the bottom line, and creatives looking for new ways to increase their output.
DIMITRI MAEX is managing director of OgilvyOne New York, Ogilvy & Mather's digital direct operations. He also serves as the head of the company's Global Data Practice, a team that has been recognized by Forrester Research as number one in the industry. Renowned worldwide for the statistical methods he's developed, Maex has helped companies such as GlaxoSmithKline, IBM, Philips, Siemens, UPS, Unilever, and many other global enterprises employ hugely profitable and radically new uses for their data analysis.