Effie celebrated its 50th year as the global authority on marketing effectiveness by announcing the recipients of its anniversary ‘5 for 50’ Award and the winners of the 2019 Effie Awards U.S. and Global Effie competitions at its annual gala last night at Cipriani 42nd Street. The coveted Grand Effie (best in show) was presented to Procter & Gamble and Saatchi & Saatchi New York, along with contributors Hearts & Science, Taylor Strategy, MKTG and MMC for 'It’s a Tide Ad.'
“‘It’s a Tide Ad’ had insight, magic, effervescence, surprise, extraordinary execution and great numbers,” said Grand Effie juror, David Lubars, chief creative officer BBDO Worldwide and chairman BBDO North America. “When all of these things come together in a seemingly effortless way, it’s a winner.”
Grand Effie contenders (top scoring Gold Effie winners) also included:
- Chicago Sun-Times and Ogilvy: 'The Blank Page'
- Diageo North America and TracyLocke: 'Diageo Pretty Simple Drinks'
- Gerber and co-lead agencies Terri & Sandy and Ogilvy: 'Anything for Baby' with Edible, Hornall Anderson and Hogarth
- Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats and co-lead agencies Leo Burnett/Arc and Starcom: 'Write-on Wrappers' with Google and Krispr
- National Safety Council and Energy BBDO: 'Prescribed to Death' with PHD and Ketchum
- Tourism Australia and Droga5: 'Dundee: A tourism campaign in disguise' with UM and Kovert Creative
- Unilever’s Axe and co-lead agencies Team Unilever Shopper and Geometry: 'Axe Start His Journey' with Mirum Shopper
- WeCounterHate and POSSIBLE-Seattle: 'Life After Hate' with Spredfast and Hearby Sound
‘5 for 50’ winners:
The ‘5 for 50’ Effie was created to mark Effie’s 50th anniversary. Entrants were required to have won more than one Effie Award over more than one year and demonstrated that they most effectively adapted, stayed relevant and sustained business success for the brand over time.
The five 5 for 50 Effie Award recipients are:
- Apple and Media Arts Lab: 'From the brink of bankruptcy to one of the world’s most beloved brands' with OMD USA
- Unilever and Ogilvy: 'Dove - Campaign for Real Beauty' with Edelman USA
- IBM and Ogilvy: 'IBM. A leading brand. A lasting brand.'
- Mastercard and McCann Worldgroup: '22 Years of Priceless'
- Nike and Wieden+Kennedy: 'NIKE JUST DO IT'
“Congratulations to all of this year’s Effie winners, who are now a part of Effie history,” said Traci Alford, president and CEO of Effie Worldwide. “We are proud to celebrate the success of such great brands and teams as Effie continues to evolve with the industry to ensure that effectiveness sits at the heart of what marketers do best, which is deliver growth.”
Global Effie Winners:
Global Effie Award winners for the year’s most effective marketing ideas that worked in multiple markets worldwide were announced at the Gala. Dubai Properties and co lead agencies FP7/McCann Dubai and Magna Global UAE won a Silver Global Effie, Apple and TBWA\Media Arts Lab won a Bronze Global Effie with OMD Worldwide, and Arla Foods’ Puck with co-lead agencies FP7 McCann Dubai and PHD (UAE) won a Bronze Global Effie.
To deliver on its education mission, Effie held its first-ever Summit in the U.S. on the drivers of marketing effectiveness today, launched the Effie Academy certification program earlier this year, and enjoyed increased engagement of college students participating in the 2019 Effie Collegiate Brand Challenge, sponsored by Subaru of America, Inc. The organisation expanded to 53 programs worldwide and benchmarked the most effective marketers in the world for its 9th annual Effie Index rankings.
Effie United States rankings reflect points accumulated from finalist and winning cases from the 2019 Effie Awards U.S. competition and will be factored into the 2020 Global Effie Index. The most effective marketers from the 2019 Effie Awards U.S. competition are:
Marketers: 1st Procter & Gamble, 2nd Mondelez International, 3rd Diageo, McDonald’s and Tourism Australia (three way tie)
Brands: 1st McDonald’s and Tourism Australia (tie), 2nd National Safety Council, 3rd Tide
Holding Companies: 1st IPG, 2nd WPP, 3rd Omnicom
Agency Networks: 1st McCann Worldgroup, 2nd Ogilvy, 3rd Droga5
Agency Offices: 1st Droga5 (NY), 2nd Ogilvy (NY), 3rd Geometry (NY)
Independent Agencies: 1st Droga5, 2nd Terri & Sandy, 3rd 22squared and Swellshark (tie)
Effie case studies are rigorously examined, debated and evaluated by seasoned industry leaders over at least two rounds of judging. A complete list of Gold, Silver and Bronze winners for the Effie Awards U.S., as well as the opportunity to read the winning case studies, is available on the Effie site