University design students from across the UK have been judged and shortlisted by an esteemed panel of FMCG brand marketers, designers and research experts for the design research competition, Design in Sight, which is the first of its kind. Entrants have combined great research and visionary design to re-imagine an iconic brand for the future.
Design in Sight, a competition run by leading design research agency, The Big Picture, was run across 25 universities and students had a choice of 20 brands which included Andrex, Maltesers, Dove, Häagen-Dazs, Daddies Sauce and Malibu. Judging took place on Friday 28th March where 60 entries were passionately debated by a panel of leading figures from across the FMCG design and research industry and 14 students have now been shortlisted including:
- Matthew Crowley, Cardiff Metropolitan University (SMA)
- Eleanor D’Eath, Nottingham Trent University (SMA)
- Hannah Marie Dodd, Leeds University (Dove)
- Ben Fullerton, Nottingham Trent University (Goodfella’s)
- Mathew Hill, Coventry University (Andrex)
- Harriet Kennedy, Nottingham Trent University (Nature Valley)
- Joshua Krohn, University of Northampton (Panadol)
- Catherine Jamieson, Nottingham Trent University (SMA)
- Hayley Lowndes, Nottingham Trent University (L’Oreal)
- Lekha Nanavati, Nottingham Trent University (J2O)
- Bethany Olechnowicz, University of Northampton (Shredded Wheat)
- Chanel Stracey, Nottingham Trent University (Goodfella’s)
- Alexandria Vernon, Nottingham Trent University (SMA)
- Tom Wood, Nottingham Trent University (Malibu)
You can view all of the entrants competition entries here
Judges included David Cousino, Global Consumer Marketing Insight Director, Skin Care and Pitch at Unilever, Dan Germain, Global Head of Brand and Creative at innocent, Andrew Barraclough, Vice President of Design at GlaxoSmithKline, Paul Taylor, Executive Creative Director & Partner at BrandOpus and John Cassidy, Managing Director at The Big Picture.
The entries have been judged on thoughtfulness and creativity, strength of insights gained, vision and clarity of design brief based upon research and brilliance, impact and distinctiveness of design execution.
Suranee Abeysuriya, Director at The Big Picture said: “This competition is the first to explore how research and design disciplines can work together and we’re extremely proud to champion what we’re passionate about whilst ringing in our 20th anniversary. It was great to be involved in a real dialogue between brands and designers together in one room and exciting to be involved in the debate and see the vision of our next generation of designers.”
Simon Pollock Consumer Insights Director at General Mills added: “It was fantastic to be part of the Design in Sight process, judging design that had been built from insight. It was inspirational to see how the designers captured and communicated the insight and how this led them to their design solution.”
Paul Taylor, Executive Creative Director & Partner, BrandOpus said: “It is refreshing to see a student design competition that recognises the importance of effective research and consumer insight in the context of creating big ideas and great design.”
The shortlisted entries will be showcased at a strictly invite only Awards Ceremony on 12th June in Central London where one student will win a £500 cash prize and a month paid internship at award winning design agency, BrandOpus and one spent at leading design research agency, The Big Picture.
There is also a People’s Choice Award where people can vote for their winner via the Design in Sight website found hereview more - Awards and Events