The Clio Awards, the renowned international advertising, design and
communications competition, has just wrapped its 59th annual
Clio Awards, held at The Ziegfeld Ballroom in
New York City, where Grand award winners for Clio and Clio Music were
Seamus Higgins, executive
creative director at Host/Havas, and Dan
Smith, managing director at Host/Havas, celebrated two wins on stage for
their work with the Palau Legacy Project. Higgins and Smith accepted
awards in both the Direct and Innovation categories for the "Palau
Pledge" campaign. Host/Havas was the only agency to score multiple Grand
Clios. Daymond John, businessman, inventor and television personality,
introduced both honors. Debbie Remengesau, First Lady of the Republic of
Palau, was also in attendance to support the campaign.
The previously announced 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award
recipient, Susan Hoffman, Chairman, Wieden+Kennedy, accepted her honor,
following a presentation by Wieden+Kennedy's managing director, Neal
Arthur. Hoffman stressed the importance of diversity in the advertising
industry in order to reflect the diversity of consumers.
Architect Frank Gehry accepted his previously announced 2018 Honorary
Award via video message. Lee Clow, chairman and global director of
TBWA\Worldwide, introduced Gehry's award after a tribute video for
TBWA's 50th anniversary was shared with the room.
"I'm honored and excited by this unexpected accolade from the Clio
Awards. The years of my life that I spent with the Chiat Day team gave
me the insights into the power and integrity that the advertising
industry can bring to the world. I appreciate being part of it."
The 2018 Grand Clio Winners are:
● Direct: Host/Havas for Palau Legacy Project with "Palau Pledge"
● Digital/Mobile: DDB Chicago for Skittles with "Exclusive the Rainbow"
● Print: Åkestam Holst NoA for IKEA with "IKEA Pee Ad"
● Film: TBWA\Media Arts Lab for Apple with "Welcome Home"
● Branded Entertainment: Serial Pictures for Montefiore with "Corazon"
● Out of Home[CP1] Jung von Matt AG for EDEKA with "The Most German Supermarket"
● Innovation: Host/Havas for Palau Legacy Project with "Palau Pledge"
● Integrated Campaign: adam&eveDDB for Marmite with "Gene Test"
● Partnerships & Collaborations: TBWA\HAKUHODO for AIG with "Pride Jersey"
● Audio: Rothco | Accenture Interactive for The Times/News UK and Ireland with "JFKunsilenced"
the Year" honors were presented to those that collected the most statue
points across all mediums for 2018. The honorees are:
● Advertiser of the Year: Burger King
● Agency of the Year: Ogilvy Chicago
● Network of the Year: BBDO Worldwide
Snapchat, special sponsor of this year's ceremony, presented the
Snapchat AR Specialty Award, to R/GA for Jordan Brand's "A/R Jordan"
campaign. Entries in this medium include the creative application of
Augmented Reality in an advertising campaign to immerse users in the
Snapchat platform. Ben Williams, R/GA's VP, executive creative director,
and Dan Harbison, global senior director for Jordan, accepted the
Says Nicole Purcell, President, Clio: "This year's
ceremony proved to be another celebration of exemplary creativity and
innovation. We are proud to recognize the industry's work and talent and
believe that this year's winners are some of the most forward-thinking
and inspiring in the game. It excites and inspires us as we look ahead
to our 60th anniversary year."
Clio Music was sponsored for the
fourth year by Citi. Jennifer Breithaupt, global consumer CMO of Citi,
spoke to all women in advertising during an on-stage presentation that
was followed by a video tribute and champagne toast to the audience.
Music Grand Winners were recognized during the ceremony, as was the
2018 Clio Music Impact Award recipient, Scooter Braun. Braun,
entrepreneur, philanthropist, and founder of SB Projects, was presented
with the award by longtime friend Jay Williams, Host of The Boardroom,
ESPN Analyst and former NBA player.
After dedicating the Impact
Award to his team at SB Projects, Braun encouraged the crowd "to do more
and to create something better than the world we are living in right
2018 Grand Clio Music Winners are:
● Music Marketing: Visionary Music Group/Def Jam Recordings for National Suicide Prevention Lifeline with "1-800-273-8255"
● Use of Music: VML for Wendy's with "webeefin?"
Music also included a performance by Sofi Tukker. The musical duo
charted twice on the Breakthrough Chart, a Clio Music partnership with
Billboard and Shazam to measure the power of commercial synchs on
breakthrough songs. The duo performed a mashup of "Best Friend"
(featuring NERVO, The Knocks & Alisa Ueno) that was used in the
Apple iPhone X "It's Here" campaign and "That's It" from the iPhone 8
The full list of winners can be viewed
online at Clios.com