Wunderman Thompson London
Tue, 19 May 2015 15:39:17 GMT
The Innovation Group, the newly launched innovation and futurism unit of J. Walter Thompson Intelligence, today unveiled a new report on Generation Z(those born in the mid-1990s and early 2000s). The report, which features original quantitative studies and consumer data, examines this emerging generation’s key behaviors and attitudes, as well as the brands and influencers engaging them.
Eclipsing the Millennials, who have dominated the news and pop culture agenda in recent years, this new, younger generation identifies as a distinctly different group in both behavior and mindset. In the U.K. and U.S., Gen Z comprises a quarter of the population, and in the U.S. alone the group represents over $44 billion in annual purchasing power. More inspired by Malala than Beyoncé, Gen Zers are characterized by ethical consumption habits, native digital technology use, entrepreneurial ambition and progressive views on topics ranging from education to gender,according to the report.
“We’re excited to showcase this rich study of a dynamic new generation,” said Lucie Greene, Worldwide Director of the Innovation Group. “Generation Zers are a complex mixture of sophistication and wide-eyed optimism. They are intelligent, confident and — importantly for brands — they question the prescribed norms of everything from formal education to gender politics. For brands to reach this group, they will need to understand what makes them tick and come to grips with these nuances.”
The report features over 70 pages of analysis and brand examples across sectors including beauty, retail, media, technology, education and more.
Generation Z by the numbers:
• 82% of Gen Zers say they don’t care about sexual orientation
• 86% use the their smartphones multiple times a day
• 70% watch more than two hours of YouTube content each day
• 88% say people are exploring their sexuality more than in the past
• 67% would rather shop in stores than online
• 83% say saving for the future is important
The report is broken down into the following sections:
- Drivers: Historical factors shaping Gen Zers’ attitudes and preferences
- Manifestations: What our survey reveals about these emerging mindsets
- Trends: How specific sectors are already responding to Gen Z
- Future: How brands can connect with Gen Z
- Case Studies: Original profiles of six Gen Zers in the U.S. and U.K.
- Generation Z Icons: Members of this group already making their mark on culture
For this report, the Innovation Group conducted quantitative studies using SONARTM, J. Walter Thompson’s proprietary research unit that develops and exploits new research techniques to understand cultures, brands and consumer motivation. A total of 1,000 individuals aged 12-19 were surveyed in the U.S. and the U.K. in February 2015. Insights are also underpinned by original interviews and photography documenting the lives and preferences of Gen Z case studies in London, Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York.
The Generation Z report is available at JWTIntelligence.com. Sale price: $1,000.
An executive summary is available on SlideShare at: http://www.slideshare.net/jwtintelligenceview more - Trends and InsightWunderman Thompson London, Tue, 19 May 2015 15:39:17 GMT