FCB and its affiliates have sustained tremendous success during the first portion of this year’s Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. In particular, FCB Network’s health sector has been making waves beyond its initial triumphs at Lions Health earlier in the week. Most notably, while Area 23, an FCB Health company, was named “Healthcare Agency of the Year” – one of Lions Health’s most prestigious honors – the agency is continuing to gain momentum throughout the Festival in its entirety. Area 23 is consistently breaking boundaries, adding Lions to its collection in categories that extend far beyond health and pharma.
Historically, Area 23 has tallied a handful of impressive wins at Lions Health, being shortlisted for its “Free Killer Tan” campaign two years ago for Mollie’s Fund, and taking home Bronze last year for its “1000 Words About NTM” initiative for Insmed. During the 2017 Cannes Lions Health Festival, Area 23 earned numerous Lions – Gold, Silver and two Bronze – as well as seven shortlist entries, accumulating enough points to merit its distinguished “Healthcare Agency of the Year” title – the first won by any U.S. agency. Area 23’s pioneering health-based campaigns have also begun to permeate the rest of this year’s Festival, garnering awards outside of its traditional jurisdiction.
At Monday night’s Cannes Lions Awards, Area 23 won two Bronze Lions in the Outdoor category, including one for its “The Speaking Fireworks” campaign for Military PTSD. Area 23 also secured an unprecedented two Glass Lions – one on behalf of its “iTBra – The Wearable That Detects Cancer” for Cyrcadia Health – making history as the first health agency to earn a Glass Lion, while only 12 have been awarded in total at the Festival to date. On Tuesday, the agency broke another huge barrier, becoming the first health agency to ever win an Innovation Lion (once again in honor of “iTBra”), surpassing strong competitors such as Google, Oculus, Samsung and Audi for this coveted accolade.
Area 23 was also the first health agency to win a Gold Lion at Cannes, in addition to notching shortlist entries for Lions in nine juries worldwide across the Festival. The full list of Area 23’s awards includes:
· Area 23 named “Healthcare Agency of the Year”
· Gold: Area 23 – Pharma: HCP Devices & Diagnostics (Anonymous Client)
· Silver: “iTBra – The Wearable That Detects Cancer” – Area 23 – Cyrcadia Health – Glass: The Lion for Change
· Silver: Area 23 – Health & Wellness: Pro-Bono led Education & Awareness (Anonymous Client)
· Bronze: “The Speaking Fireworks” – Area 23 – Military PTSD – Outdoor: Ambient Experiential & Immersive Digital
· Bronze: “iTBra – The Wearable That Detects Cancer” – Area 23 – Cyrcadia Health – Innovation: Early Stage Technology
· Bronze: “Healed Maps” – Area 23 – Miracle Flights – Pharma: Business to Business
· Bronze: “Melanoma Monsters” – Area 23 – Mollie’s Fund – Pharma: Disease Awareness & Education
· Bronze: Area 23 – Glass: The Lion for Change (Anonymous Client)
· Bronze: Area 23 – Outdoor: Use of Ambient Outdoor (Anonymous Client)
Commenting on the network’s groundbreaking achievements during this year’s Cannes Lions, Dana Maiman, president and CEO of the FCB Health Network, credited the FCB Health family’s devotion to curating powerfully effective work for its clients.
“I am extremely proud of Area 23 and FCB Health for this truly historic showing at Cannes Lions 2017. These accomplishments are a true testament to the caliber of the hard work and top-tier talent within our network, especially to be honoured among the best creative work in the world.”
Chief Creative Officer of the FCB Health Network Rich Levy echoed Maiman’s sentiments, also attributing the network’s success to its constant willingness to push creative boundaries. He remarked: “Just to be recognised on the Cannes Lions award stage for transforming healthcare advertising is the ultimate win. I couldn’t be happier that our creative and account teams are delivering outstanding work for our clients and raising the bar for the future.”