Thu, 10 Oct 2019 14:27:21 GMT
Over the past month, ESPN has been travelling to the hometowns of young, everyday and amateur athletes whose plays have been featured on SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays of the day, the #SCTop10. During each of these visits ESPN has celebrated the people and places behind the plays and, on October 10th, 'SportsCenter Top 10 Day' will kick off ESPN’s new and ongoing initiative to recognise those athletes that prove that greatness can happen anywhere, any time.
To date, nine athletes from across the country have been celebrated by ESPN in their hometowns, surrounded by their families, friends and local communities. Unique and custom public installations that pay homage to their #SCTop10 plays were revealed to the athletes as part of larger celebrations. ESPN worked with creative agency Preacher on the nationwide tour, which designated each town as 'Home of SC Top 10'.
The tour will culminate on 10/10 with SportsCenter anchor John Anderson on site in Liberal, Mo., for a live reveal with softball player Brooke Bearden during the noon ET hour of SportsCenter. As a senior at Liberal High School, Brooke suffered from a stroke but didn’t want to give up on her favourite sport. After months of rehab and unwavering positivity, she did the extraordinary and walked out onto the softball field surrounded by cheering teammates.
Throughout the day on 10/10, ESPN will air nine more vignettes featuring each of the athletes from #SCTop10 and their hometown commemorations. The young stars featured during SportsCenter on ESPN include (all times Eastern):
· Between 7-8 a.m. – Ashlynn Jolicoeur (Whitby, Ontario) for her amazing outfield skills
· Between 8-10 a.m. – Emery Dupes (Marietta, GA) for her crowd-leaping volleyball save/dig
· Between 8-10 a.m. – Henry Parrish, Jr. (Miami, FL) for his electrifying touchdown run
· Between 8-10 a.m. – Katie Starr (Berwick, PA) for her over-the-fence catch
· Between 6-7 p.m. – Jaila Roberts (Pensacola, FL) for her half-court game winner
· Between 11 p.m.-12 a.m. – Teddy Townsend (Eden Prairie, MN) for his buzzer beater face-off goal
· Between 12-1 a.m. – Kyle Ginn (Covington, TN) for his pinch-hit home run
· Between 1-2 a.m. – Fran Belibi (Aurora, CO) for her incredible in-game dunk
· Between 2-3 a.m. – James Kahaleua (Waianae, HI) for his unbelievable one-handed catch
“The reaction in every home town we visited has been overwhelming,” said Laura Gentile, senior vice president of marketing, ESPN. “To celebrate these athletes and their accomplishments, and to bring the ESPN spirit to their communities has been gratifying beyond measure. It illustrates the power and beauty of sports, and has been an inspiring way to kick off our #SCTop10 efforts.”
Collectively, all 10 athletes and their plays reflect the mix of incredible feats that the SC Top 10 features year-round – athletic excellence, moments of great magnitude, and stories that transcend sports. Moving forward, SportsCenter will continue to celebrate the next generation of Top 10-ers with a rewards kit – including SportsCenter-branded memorabilia, which will allow athletes to share and archive their achievements, and digital assets they can share to commemorate their accomplishment on social platforms.
Categories: Sports and Leisure, Outdoor EquipmentPreacher, Thu, 10 Oct 2019 14:27:21 GMT