Gear Seven/Arc Studios
I Like Music
Contemplative Reptile
  • International Edition
  • USA Edition
  • UK Edition
  • Australian Edition
  • Canadian Edition
  • Irish Edition
  • German Edition
  • French Edition
  • Singapore Edition
  • Spanish edition
  • Polish edition
  • Indian Edition
  • Middle East edition
  • South African Edition

A Guide to Temporary Exports after a No-Deal Brexit

Trends and Insight 748 Add to collection

A no-deal Brexit will change the way moving goods across the UK-EU border works - here’s how companies in advertising should prepare

A Guide to Temporary Exports after a No-Deal Brexit

Amid continuing uncertainty over the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union, many British companies in advertising will be anxious to understand how border controls will work post-Brexit. Under “temporary export” rules, transporting expensive items over the border between the UK and the EU could well pose difficulties.

This will be a particular concern for advertising production, as transporting high value equipment for filming is considered a temporary export. At the moment there is no restriction on the temporary export of goods within the EU, unless it belongs to a controlled or sensitive category group (for example weapons or drugs). But after the UK leaves the EU, this may no longer be the case. 

Companies should assess what they have planned around the time of the UK’s proposed exit from the EU and prepare for an abrupt change in how temporary exports work. Konrad Shek, strategic policy advisor for the Advertising Association says companies should ensure they “plan ahead and review contingencies. You may want to review activities planned on and around November 1st.”

Without a deal all temporary export rules with the EU will revert to the way countries outside of the EU interact with member states. “The UK will be like a third country like the rest of the world,” says Konrad.

One option is going through each country’s individual customs procedures, which may mean applying for a temporary import bond to avoid having to pay import taxes. 

But the more straightforward route for a company to temporarily export goods to the EU is through applying for an ATA Carnet. These documents can be used in 78 countries, including all EU and EEA member states.

An ATA Carnet allows movement of the goods shown on the Carnet as many times as required within a 12-month period to any destination applied for. 

There is a caveat though: each country has its own rules about what goods you can bring in with an ATA Carnet so you will still need to check with the issuer in the country you’re exporting to.

You can apply for an ATA Carnet either online or by post and if you’re using a freight forwarder, they will usually fill this in for you. They are issued by Chambers of Commerce similar issuing associations that are approved by the customs authorities in the country where they operate. 

In the UK ATA carnets for goods to be temporarily exported from the UK can be bought from the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry and its offices around the country. 

The same will likely apply for imports from the EU to the UK. Companies that plan to bring equipment or goods to the UK may need to apply for an ATA Carnet from the country they’re exporting from.

Should you have any queries about how temporary exports will work after a no-deal Bexit, the Advertising Association advises that you regularly check the GOV.UK website for updates. If you need more information about your obligations and what you need to do to comply, the Association recommends seeking legal advice.

Further information is available at the Advertising Association website – a special Brexit section can be visited here.
view more - Trends and Insight
Sign up to our newsletters and stay up to date with the best work and breaking ad news from around the world.
LBB Editorial, Wed, 09 Oct 2019 13:34:25 GMT